My top styling secrets are inspired by two quotes I love …
- “I want to make every home reflect the best, most interesting version of the people who live there.” – Frances Merrill
- “The desire for symmetry, for balance, for rhythm in form as well as in sound, is one of the most inveterate of human instincts.” – Edith Wharton and Ogden Codman, Jr.
Here are the styling secrets that help guide me!
- Whether the project involves a single room or an entire home, I include cherished objects from my clients. Family mementos, items from their travels, or something they found that they just love is included in my design scheme.
- To create my color scheme, I always start with something in my client’s home that “speaks” to them. It may be a favorite rug, a piece of art, or the fabric from a piece of furniture, for example.
- I encourage my clients to ignore the rules. Gather things you love around you. Mix styles and shapes. Organize and display these objects to create symmetry and balance. This may include colors, furniture, metals in hardware, or styles of lighting. Never hesitate to mix the old with the new and the bold with the subtle.
When you look at a design project for your home, these are all important considerations to help guide you through the process of coming up with a room that will really impress. But, it’s easier said than done. I know. I’ve been at this a long time.
Do you have an idea for your home? Start with my two favorite quotes and the 3 secrets I’ve shared. Would you like to discuss them with an experienced designer? Contact me. I’d be happy to sit with you to work things out.